A Brief History of Bailiffscourt
With all the appearance of an ancient manor house, Bailiffscourt's best kept secret is that until 1927 it didn't exist. It was designed for Lord Moyne, then Walter Guinness of the brewing family, by the antiquarian and architect, Amyas Phillips.
His brief was to recreate a house in the medieval style, which was favoured by Lord Moyne's wife Evelyn. Phillips searched the country for original stone, woodwork, doors, windows and fireplaces, bringing them all together at Climping to create the exquisite country house and park that we see today. In 1933 he went on to landscape the gardens to complement the buildings.
Throughout the 1930's, Bailiffscourt played host to the high society of the day until the death of Lady Moyne in 1939, and in 1948 it became a hotel. For more information please click here to download our Bailiffscourt Hotel History Booklet.