A Brief History of
The Spread Eagle
"...that oldest and most revered of all the prime inns of this world ..." Hilaire Belloc
- 1430 - The traditional date of the building that forms the oldest part of the hotel
1533 - The building was bought by Sir William Fitzwilliam, Henry VIII's Lord
- 1730 - The Spread Eagle Inn is valued at £400 by the Sun Insurance Company
- 1791-1798 - It is certain that Admiral Lord Nelson visited the hotel at this time
- 1832 - The town's principal stagecoach, The Earl of March, left the Spread Eagle for London every morning, except Sunday, at 10.00am
- 1907 - A motor garage opened at the hotel
- 2007 - The hotel celebrates 50 years of ownership by the same family.
Trip Advisor 2014 Winner - Certificate of Excellence
This prestigious award recognises businesses that consistently earn top ratings from TripAdvisor travellers. We are very proud to have been selected their 2014 winner! Read our reviews and find out more information by clicking here.